Brothers and Sisters, after three weeks of meeting together on Sunday evenings, I want to reflect on our teaching time. First and foremost, thank you to everyone who has been participating! I have truly enjoyed the time and hope you have enjoyed it too. Even after just a few short weeks, I am altogether confident and hopeful about God’s work in and among us.
Paul’s prayer for the Colossian Church is my prayer for you…
[I] have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him: bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; being strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy; giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. ~ Col. 1:9b-12
Here are the goals I have for us on Sunday evenings:
- To know, love, and serve God more fully as we study and discuss his Church
- To turn back to God’s word again and again as we re-examine what we already know and have our eyes opened to what we do not know
- To embrace by faith the present spiritual reality of our unity in Christ (Gal. 3:23-29; Phil. 2:1-11)
- To know, understand, and love others despite (or, even better, because of) their unique perspectives
- To respond to the Spirit’s work in our individual lives by “stirring up” spiritual graces in others (WCF XVI.3; WLC 75)
- To define with greater knowledge, clarity, and wisdom both what the Church is and what the Church does
- To grasp more completely and to appreciate more fully the system of Reformed doctrine and how its pieces fit together
For our next teaching / learning time, we will continue the discussion about worship. I will update the teaching outline so we can pick up where we left off last Sunday. For further preparation, I commend the following articles (in this order):
May God’s abundant blessings in Christ rest upon all of you this week as you seek to love, honor, and serve him above all else!